Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Back of my Baseball Card

Normally the back of a baseball card contains a chart with stats and a small blurb about the player.  So I'm making my little blurb and putting it here since I don't have a baseball card yet.

I was born in Toronto, Ontario and from the time I was born I was going to be a baseball player.  One of my first birthday presents was a red, white and blue baseball glove big enough that I could sit in it.  I grew up going to Blue Jays games with my grandfather (Zidie).  He has had season tickets since Opening Day in 1977, and I personally think they are the best seats in the stadium.  My love for baseball grew because of the connection it created with my family.  When I wasn't down at the SkyDome I was almost certainly in a park or a field taking ground "ballths", yes I had a lisp, from my mom or my dad.  In the few moments a day I was in my house I watched baseball on tv, and my favorite computer game was Major League Math.

My parents have been the foundation for everything I've done, and I can't imagine any parents could be more encouraging, more engaging or more supportive than mine.  From driving me all around the city, then the province and then flying around the country I couldn't have gotten to my games, practices or events without them.  I also am extremely grateful for their sacrifices.  It would have been easy for them to tell me that summers were vacation time and that I had to go to camp or something else in order for them to have a real, relaxing summer. So mom and dad, thank you!

Now I know I'd get my ass kicked if I didn't at least mention my sister Molly.  So her name is in here and that's all you need to know...Actually that's totally false. My sister is my best friend, my biggest competitor, my best teacher, and a person who I think is just an all around better person than anyone in the world.  I mean she's a two sport athlete, as a hockey goalie and a softball center fielder. How good is the girl they call Baumer? Well she got a scholarship to play Division 1 hockey.  And she played in the World Championships as a softball player and hit a laser of a home run against Puerto Rico.  Ya, ya, she's just a great athlete. Wrong.  She's also a genius.  The scholarship to play hockey is made more impressive only by the fact that the school she's going to next fall is Harvard. Yes, Harvard.  Considering she's a pretty impressive human I'm forced to strive for greatness in everything I do because, being the competitive person I am, I could not deal with being second to her.

I also couldn't leave out my grandparents. Talk about support, love and care? There aren't words for the kinds of support, love and care that they have for me and Molly.  We are both so lucky to have Gramma and Zidie and Bubbie Ellen.  Even though we don't get to see Bubbie very often we always have great weekend visits.  Whether we're in Montreal for a tournament, or she's just dropping by to see us for a few days we always have a great time going for a walk to a local diner to have breakfast, or to pick up bagels before everyone is awake.  She's an inspiration to me because of her story. Finally, Gramma and Zidie who probably have had more contact with me and Molly than most parents do with their kids.  I always look forward to seeing them whether it's for dinner at the golf club, a ball game or just to drop by their house.  I truly appreciate everything they do for me, and m family and I love them dearly.
My MILB.com player page as of July 1, 2012.  Still stuck on the temporary
inactive list, but hey, I'm alive in the eyes of Minor League Baseball!!

I will finish this update with the picture that makes this all real.  

No comments:

Post a Comment